I love cooking with my mom, especially making family recipes. My mom learned how to make many of her family recipes from her mom, her grandmother, and her great aunt. Everyone in my family has their favorite family recipe… My dads favorite are cabbage rolls or Kibbeh (pronounced “gibby” a Lebanese meat pocket filled with cream cheese and pine nuts), my sisters favorite are cabbage rolls, my favorite is Ka’ik (a glazed sweet bread) and my mom’s favorite are Meat Pies, what we made this weekend.
Our meat pies aren’t like British savory pies… They are triangular bread pockets filled with Ground Beef and Lamb, Spices, Onion, Parsley, and Cream Cheese or if you’re vegetarian like my sister we make them with Spinach, Onion, Spices, and Feta Cheese. The recipe a little complicated and takes quite a few steps. If you’re relatively new to cooking I would recommend not trying to make them especially because our recipe doesn’t have many instructions. Anyway, here’s what they look like completed.
The First Step is making the dough.
- Proof Yeast
- 1/2 Cup warm water
- 2 Teaspoons sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Yeast
- Add 3/4 Cup Olive Oil
- Mix 5 Cups Flour and Yeast
- Switch to Dough Hook
- Mix and Add 6 Cups Warm Water Slowly
- Use Hands to Form into One Dough Ball
- Let Rise for 2 hours
Step Two Dough Formation
- Punch Down Dough, Let Rise and Punch Again
- Sprinkle With Flour
- Take Out of Bowl and Place on Counter
- Take Dough off Ball 2.5 Ounces at a Time
- Pinch dough into golf balls (tuck and roll)
- Let Sit for 15 mins
Step Three Filling
- Add 1 pound Ground Beef and Lamb in Pan
- Add full diced Onion
- Mix Until Onions are Translucent
- Add Spice Mix
- Add 8 oz Cream Cheese 1/2 Cup Parsley Salt
- Toast Pine Nuts Separately
- Mix all together
Fourth Step! Making the Pies
- Take Each dough Ball
- Press out into flat circle (Hands or Roller)
- Place Filling on top (1/3 cup)
- Pull up sides of dough and pinch together along seams into triangles
- Bake at 350 for 10 mins
- Enjoy 😛
I love this recipe, not only is is a great snack on the go its tasty and fun but its something not many people make. 10000/10.
I had so much fun making this with my mom we got to spend time together and I love spending time with my mom. My mom learned how to make our meat pies from her great aunt and she taught me how to make them. Here’s mom when we started baking.